If you’re anything like me, you have not seen your hairdresser on a regular basis for close to a year now. And your hair is probably looking dull, and blah. I have found the answer to our prayers: Clairol Natural Instincts. This at home hair colour has changed my perspective on how I will maintain my hair going forward. Enjoy my tips and overall review of Clairol Natural Instincts.
At first, I was hesitant to try an at home hair colour because I was intimidated by the steps and process involved. I also wanted to find a cleaner formula as I like to stay away from harsh chemicals.
After doing a lot of research I discovered the Clairol Natural Instincts at home hair colour and I am so excited to be sharing my personal review of this OUTSTANDING product.
First off here’s a quick quiz to find out of this product is right for you:
- Does your hair look dull and blah?
- Is your current hair situation weighing on your confidence?
- Do you want to instantly freshen up your hair?
- Would you like to colour your hair with an ammonia free hair colour?
- Would you like fresh fabulous hair in 20 minutes?
- Are you looking for an at home hair colour line that has a variety of different colour options?
If you answered yes to any of these questions than you will be thrilled with the at home results you can achieve with Clairol’s Natural Instincts hair colour
How to choose your shade?
- Hair colour works on a 1-10 shade scale. 1 being the lightest and 10 being the darkest . In other words 1= platinum blonde and 10 = pitch black.
- When doing an at home hair colour please keep in mind that it can’t lift your hair colour. Don’t expect to be able to make your dark hair super light. Stay within 1-2 shades of your current colour for best results.
Shop for your hair colour here:
- Always pick a colour that is in the same colour range as your hair. Keep it within 1-2 shades of your current colour. Once you’ve determined your shade, it’s time to pick an undertone.
- Next to the number on your hair colour box you will see a letter symbol.
- The letter symbols are a reflection of the tone – C = cool W= warm.
- Let’s use me as an example: I use the shade 4W which is a medium to dark brown shade (4 is in the brown tones) and the W indicates a warm undertone to compliment my skin tone.
What is included in your at home colour kit:
- The colour developer
- The colour
- A leave in conditioner
How long will my colour last?
The Clairol Natural Instincts hair colour is a demi permanent ammonia free at home hair colour. Demi permanent means that it will wash out over time. The Natural Instincts colour lasts up to 28 washes.
If you want to create a gloss instead of using a demi permanent colour add 60 ml of water into the colour developing bottle before you add the colour cream and you can create a glossy rinse for your hair which will last up to 14 washes.
At home colouring tips:
- To avoid colour staining your hairline and ears use a bit of the conditioner that comes with your colour on those areas. Avoid using Vaseline on your hair line as this will block the colour from being able to develop. The conditioner on the other hand protects your skin by creating a barrier but won’t hinder the colour outcome.
- Before colouring make sure you are wearing a shirt that you don’t mind staining. This is a good tip on the off chance you do get a drop of colour on your clothing.
- Have a timer handy – your hair colour will have to stay on for 20 minutes. Set your timer for 20 minutes so that you know when to rinse. Don’t worry if you leave your colour on for a bit longer than the required 20 minutes.
A Few more reasons why the Clairol Natural Instincts is my colour of choice
- A couple years ago I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and finding cleaner beauty products is always a plus for me. I do like to colour my hair as it boosts my confidence and I love the way it looks. But ammonia and parabens can disrupt hormones. This at home colour is the perfect solution because it’s formulated with 80% naturally derived ingredients, no ammonia or parabens. If you are trying to conceive, I do highly recommend this hair color as a TTC friendly option.
- It’s extremely easy to use. The process is fun, and I feel amazing once I have coloured my hair at home.
- It’s budget friendly. I can’t believe that I am able to achieve these stunning salon quality results for less than a fraction of the cost of going to a hairdresser.
- I can colour my hair whenever my schedule allows. My schedule is typically jam packed and trying to schedule an appointment with my hairstylist every 6 weeks can become a bit tricky. With my at home hair colour I am able to colour my hair at my own convenience.
I hope you enjoyed my Clairol Natural Instincts review !
Please let me know if you try it for yourself 🙂
Shop your at home hair colour accessories here:
Watch me apply my Clairol Natural Instincts at home hair colour: