I have compiled a list of few crafts and resources that have been helping us through this time. Let me preface this post by telling you that I am not a Pinterest mom. This is all unchartered territory for me but these isolation activities are fun for the whole family. They have been a hit and are getting us through the day.
My daughter is a very social 5 year old who loves school. She loves a challenge and needs a constant stream of activities. Both artsy and educational to keep her from becoming frustrated and upset by the current situation. I totally get it kids are confused, they aren’t able to burn off enough energy, the days are long and the lack of structure is not ideal.
Why I need Fun Isolation Activities to help me cope:
I am not someone who is great with crafting and homeschooling. Admittedly I am a bit of a domestic nightmare. I like to work, when I spend time with my family it’s usually outside of the home doing activities, visiting museums and parks.
Being cooped up for weeks on end was not on my radar. I didn’t have a plan or an arsenal of isolation activities lined up. However, the reality of the COVID-19 situation has brought out a crafty and very resourceful side to me that I didn’t know existed.
This post has been highly requested by my friends so I figured I would share it with everyone. Even if you get one idea out of it I will be thrilled.
Daily Isolation Activities:
- Daily journal picture: Every day after breakfast I ask Eve to draw a picture. I give her a topic and she draws a picture. I am compiling a journal of memories from this time. It’s basic, you don’t need any fancy materials and it will make for an amazing keepsake.
- Writing down the week, day and month. We are doing it in English and French because Eve is in French emersion and I don’t speak French. This is an easy way to keep up with the basics.
- Daily circle time with dolls and a couple songs. This one is Eve’s favourites we sing and pretend the dolls are the kids in the class.
Now for some craft ideas that are easy, creative and kid approved:
It would take me way to long to do a step by step of the crafts we have done so far. Here is a link to my Pinterest board of crafts we are loving! https://www.pinterest.ca/stopdropandmakeup/
We have been surprisingly successful and are having a lot of fun. We have altered the crafts based on what we have available to us. Some of the ones we have tried:
- TP Disney characters
- Spring egg carton chicks
- Table Hammock
- Walking rainbow experiment
- Food colouring ice cube paints
- Macaroni accessories
- Glue art
- Egg carton mermaid
- Pyssla beads
I will be updating the Pinterest board as we try new things.
Activities that are time consuming and will win you a parent of the year award:
- Obstacle courses using anything you have available – jumping over bowls, throwing balls into hoops, rolling over “hot lava” which is really just a rug. You can be very creative and change it up, it’s fun and also burns off a bit of energy.
- Throw a birthday party for a favourite doll.
We celebrated Minnie Mouses birthday and it was a full 4 hour set up. We made crowns for attendees, a banner, baked a cake, made bracelets as party favours, had a fruit snack. It was fun and a sweet way to spend an afternoon.
- Let your child do your makeup. This is Eve’s favourite thing to do and since we aren’t going anywhere why not let your kid experiment.
Apps that are fun and educational
Updated to add, National geographic kids has a feee website with hundred of quizzes, games and other educational and fun activities for kids
Apps/ youtube channels that keep us moving:
- Go Noodle : https://www.youtube.com/user/GoNoodleGames
- Kidzbop https: //www.youtube.com/user/KidzBopKids
- Cosmic yoga https: //www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
- Yoga with Adrienne: Yoga with Adriene
- Sugar Pop Fitness : Sugar Pop Fitness
- Follow @raisingartists on Instagram for the best at home craft ideas ! We made these amazing headbands and bracelets thanks to them.
- We also stumbled upon weekly live Princess story time on Facebook with :https://www.facebook.com/hillcityicequeen/
I hope these fun isolation activities,
give you inspiration and a few ideas to pass the time with. This is a very stressful situation but we are all in this together. If there is anything else you’d like to see me post about let me know and I will try my very best to get to it.
Stay home and stay safe.