We’ve all heard about a capsule wardrobe and investing in core fashion items such as the classic white t-shirt and a little black dress. With the overwhelming stream of beauty products available to us, it’s important to approach our makeup collection in a similar way. Invest in essentials we love before investing in pops of colour and glitter. In this post I talk about how to: start your makeup collection.
Before We Get Started:
All the products discussed in this post are available at your local Shoppers Drug Mart. I want this process to be as easy for you as possible. I want you to be able to shop in one convenient spot or via the product links in this post 🙂
The clue is in the name. A good foundation is literally the foundation to any good makeup look. Foundations are important because they help even out skin tone, cover up blemishes, redness and other pigmentation issues we may be experiencing. When we apply a foundation we are creating a clean canvas and prepping our skin for the rest of our makeup.
Product Recommendation: Revolution Makeup Conceal and Define Foundation
This is an incredible “your skin but better formula”!
- A lightweight, buildable foundation which means you can apply a little for a sheer coverage or add more for a full coverage look. I personally use it to cover blemishes and under eye darkness as well 😉 So it doubles as my concealer.
- The packaging is incredible ! A luxurious glass bottle with a jumbo doe foot applicator which makes application easy and controlled so you don’t have to worry about wasting product.
- Oil free means it’s perfect for all skin types.
- In addition it’s paraben and cruelty free .
- Get yours here: Revolution Makeup Conceal and Define Foundation
A translucent powder is a product that so many people skimp on but really makes a difference in how your makeup looks and sits on the skin. Use a little translucent powder to set your foundation, blot away shine and blur imperfections. As our skin matures we only need little to do the job so please remember that less is more when it comes to powder.
Product Recommendation: Pixi H2O Skinveil Powder
I love this lightweight and hydrating powder formula because:
- It’s weightless and doesn’t feel like you’re wearing anything on the skin.
- It cools, refreshes and hydrates as it leaves a satin skin-like finish.
- Buff it onto bare skin or on top of foundation.
- Get yours here: Pixi H2O Skinveil Powder
Neutral eyeshadow palette:
Don’t even bother buying anything eye makeup related until you have invested in a neutral tone eyeshadow palette. I think you will find that you don’t actually need anything more for your eyes because a neutral palette is so versatile and can be used for simple looks or the smokiest of looks. As someone who has an embarrassingly large collection of eyeshadow palettes, my neutral palette is the one I use 90% of the time.
Product Recommendation: Makeup Revolution Ultimate Nudes Shadow Palette
Do not sleep on this stunningly gorgeous and versatile eyeshadow palette:
- A neutral eyeshadow palette that is available for $12.99 but wears like luxurious high end shadows.
- Loads of pigment and extremely easy to blend.
- Perfect combination of matte and shimmer shadows.
- Get yours here: Makeup Revolution Ultimate Nudes Shadow Palette
Essential #4 :
Blush makes everything better 🙂 It’s essential because it brings life back to the complexion while adding dimension and freshness it is my favourite step of any makeup routine.
Product Recommendation: Quo Beauty Featherweight Cream Blush
If you haven’t tried a cream blush yet now is the time!
- Cream blush is a huge trend right now and I am so happy it is. Unlike powder blush it melts into the skin giving it the most beautiful natural flush.
- This lightweight formula from Quo Beauty delivers a natural, fresh glow.
- It’s easy to blend and ideal for all skin types.
- Available in a variety of stunning shades.
- Get yours here: Quo Beauty Featherweight Cream Blush
Lipgloss is essential because they are easy to apply and reapply throughout the day. Darker hued lipsticks with matte, long wear formulas can become very tricky to apply correctly. They can also smudge and make your lips look dry and flakey. So for these reasons I am here to tell you that a gloss is the way to go when building your makeup collection. When you feel confident with a quick and easy routine I give you permission to add in the bold lip 😉
Product Recommendation: Extreme Shine Volume Gloss by Essence
This gloss is going to become your new favourite lip product!
- The new and improved essence extreme shine volume lipgloss.
- Gives your lips the ultimate sheen and natural glow.
- The super smooth, improved texture promises maximum volume, extreme plumping.
- Carbon neutral packaging.
- Get yours here: Extreme Shine Volume Gloss by Essence
Mascara is the little black dress of any makeup routine. It makes your eyes pop and ties the entire look together. If there’s one product everyone needs it’s a good mascara.
Product Recommendation: Quo Beauty Pump Up The Volume Water Proof Mascara
The Quo Beauty Pump Up The Volume Waterproof Mascara is:
- An intensely black water-resistant mascara that helps separate, lengthen and add volume to lashes.
- Part of the The Thoughtful Choices at Shoppers Drug Mart™ lineup which is curated to help make it easier for you to shop consciously. All products with this seal are (at a minimum): Cruelty-free; Paraben, phthalate, SLS/SLES, formaldehyde, BPA & aluminum salts-free; and mindful of our planet.
- Get yours here: Quo Beauty Pump Up The Volume Water Proof Mascara
Shop the products in this post:
Hope this helps!
Happy shopping and good luck creating beautiful makeup looks that make you feel like the confident queen you are 🙂