As a former social worker and Psychology major / with a master’s in social work, I am a huge self- care advocate. Taking care of our Mental health is as important as taking care of our physical health. You’ve heard the phrase you can’t pour from an empty cup?
It’s 100% true if you burn yourself out and never take time to recharge depression and anxiety can become prevalent. I urge you to invest 10 minutes a day into doing something for you and practicing some self care for your mental health.
As stated in Psychology today:
6 Self care tips for your mental health
Here are 6 selfcare tips that are practical and not very time consuming. Given the situation we currently find ourselves in with COVID 19, taking just 10 minutes a day for ourselves can be incredibly beneficial to our mental health.
1 – HAVE A BATH OR LUXURIOUS SHOWER
This might sound easy enough but when was the last time you took time to get into a tub and pamper yourself for 10 minutes? I am going to go with not recently. If you are anything like me you have time for a 2-minute shower in the morning, that’s if you’re lucky enough to squeeze in a daily shower.
I want you to run yourself a bath tonight! Run that bath grab a book or magazine and relax for 10 minutes. This will be the best gift you can give yourself!
If you’re not a fan of sitting in the tub spend a few extra minutes in the shower. Having luxurious body care products will entice you to stay in the bath or shower for a bit longer. Which is exactly what you probably need right now. A bit of pampering and luxury to wash your anxiety’s away.
My favourite body care products to use right now are:
From OGX : Their Coconut Coffee Scrub and Wash is a decadent treat.
- Smells like a dream infused with exotic arabica coffee and coconut oil
- Softens and nourishes the skin
- Extremely moisturizing
- Available at shoppers, Walmart Canada and other large retailers for $10.99
Finish off the experience with the Coconut Coffee Body Cream:
- Boosts hydration
- The fresh scent of coffee that you can enjoy at any time of day
- Available at shoppers, Walmart Canada and other large retailers for $10.99
2– WAKE UP HALF AN HOUR EARLIER THAN PEOPLE YOU LIVE WITH:
Whether you live with your husband, partner, kids, parents, roommates. Taking time to sit down with your thoughts to regroup. Can make the world of difference to your mood.
I swear by this! Setting my alarm for 6am sucks but once I am up and enjoying that time to myself, feels like I am on vacation.
Start your day off with a nourishing and delicious smoothie. I always add my favourite protein powder from Pure Protein to start my day off on the right foot.
Avoid tons of sugar in the morning as once the sugar rush is over your mood will crash and you will be left feeling groggy and unmotivated.
Alternatively enjoy one of their delicious protein bars with your morning coffee.
- Available in a variety of mouth watering flavours
- 20 grams of protein and only 2 grams of sugar per serving
- Available at Costco, Well.ca and Shoppers Drugmart
I also invested on a couple gorgeous mugs to make my morning coffee date with myself feel extra special. Grab your favourite mug and hit brew. Your mental health will thank you!
TAKE YOUR VITAMINS
Go a step further and take your daily vitamins to help enhance your mood and boost your immune system with Sundown vitamins or Nature’s Bounty hair skin and nail supplements.
Sundown Naturals are my vitamins of choice because:
- Sundown Naturals has specialized in making high-quality vitamins and supplements for over 40-years
- Sundown Naturals offers a variety of quality vitamins and supplements that are non-GMO and 100% free of gluten, dairy, preservatives, and artificial flavours and colours
- All Sundown Naturals products can be found at Shoppers Drug Mart and other major retailers across Canada
My favourites from Sundown Naturals are:
- The adult gummy multivitamins
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D3
When we nourish ourselves from the inside, we will see the results on the outside too win, win.
That’s why I also take Nature’s Bounty hair skin and nail gummies daily. These Biotin rich gummies are made for women by women.
- Chew two (2) gummies per day.
- They aid in maintaining health of normal hair and skin.
- Support nail health.
- Helps the body to metabolize carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
- Helps in the development and maintenance of bones, cartilage, teeth and
- Helps in connective tissue formation.
- Helps in wound healing.
- An antioxidant for the maintenance of good health.
- Available at Shoppers Drug Mart and Well.ca
3- PUT SOME LIPSTICK ON:
Colours like pinks and peaches can have an uplifting effect on our mood. In the psychology world these are considered happy colours. Popping a pretty lipstick onto your lips is doing something for yourself. Even if it only takes 2 minutes it’s still you are taking that time for you. A pop of colour can have positive effects on our mood.
Just a couple minutes of TLC can have a big impact on your mood. You will also feel a little extra shiny with some pretty lippy on.
The Burt’s Bees matte sticks are available in a wide variety of uplifting colours
Burt’s Bees Matte Sticks give you medium matte coverage while nourishing your lips with a natural blend of butters and are:
- Extremely hydrating
- All Natural
- Gorgeous colour selection
- Long wearing colour that will be sure to lift your spirits
- $10.99 available @shoppers, Loblaws and other major retailers
4- LIGHT A SCENTED CANDLE
Our sense of smell is closely linked with memory. Have you ever walked past a blooming magnolia tree on a balmy summer night and get transported to a memory of hanging out with friends, enjoying a cocktail in someone’s backyard?
“Fragrances have the ability to evoke both positive and negative psychological states of mind and reactions in milliseconds”. – Psychology today
Lighting a scented candle and filling your home with a fragrance that you associate with happiness can have a big impact on your behaviour.
If you’re a fan of luxury fragarance, NEST is for you.
My personal favourite is the Bamboo scent as it reminds me of when I first moved in with my husband. It was the first fragarance I bought for our home together and I have been burning the Bamboo fragarance ever since.
Bamboo, Jasmine, Sparkling Citrus Accents, Fresh Green Accord, Warm Woods.
Fresh. Modern. Green.
You can check our their entire fragrance selection here: You will not be disappointed.
Fruits and Passion Alo candles
The Alo line candles are the perfect way to fill your home with a delicious fragarance. They are:
- Plant-based wax
- Product not tested on animals
- No ingredients derived from animals
- Recyclable vase
- Made in Canada
5 – DO A WEEKLY FACE MASK or HAIR MASK
The Maui Moisture Revive & Hydrate Shea Butter hair mask is my favourite hair mask because:
- All Maui Moisture products include a base of natural ingredients of 100% aloe juice and coconut water and contain NO parabens, silicones, sulfates, gluten, synthetic dyes, mineral oils.
- Available at Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexall, Walmart and other major retailers for $10.99 each.
- Maui Moisture Revive & Hydrate + Shea Butter Hair Mask – helps deeply quench, nourish & soften strands.
For your Face:
The Aveeno Postitively Radiant peel off mask is the perfect option to show yourself some TLC while doing something nice for your skin.
It exfoliates and brightens the complexion revealing a radiant glow from with in.
Masking is one of my personal favourite ways to take 10. Because masking is amazing for our skin and hair, once that mask is on, we have to leave it there for 10 minutes.
There are times when I include the masking while having my early morning solo coffee date. It really sets me up for the day because I have done something really nice for myself.
I know that even if I don’t get a shower in that day or if the next 12 hours are spent cooking, cleaning, working, homeschooling, crafting, trying to stay sane I started my day off by pampering my skin and it keeps me going.
For more ideas on how to take care of your skin read my post on Isolation Skin Care Tips
6 – GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP
These days I am finding that the only time I am getting for myself (if I don’t get my morning coffee in) without someone else demanding something from me is at the end of the day. Realistically at 10pm, the appeal of staying up until 1am is tempting but I pay for it the next day.
I am tired, short tempered, irritable and this leads to more anxiety…
It’s crucial to get a good night’s sleep especially with the tensions being so high these days.
If you are finding it hard to drift off, try a natural lavender essential oil.
I have been using the “This Works” spray and roll on. It’s extremely relaxing and helps me drift off within minutes. It’s a lavender based essential oil elixir that will help calm you and help you get a good nights sleep.
To hear me discuss more about these products watch my segment with CHCH Morning Live.
Thanks for Stopping what you were doing and dropping by to Stop Drop & Makeup. Hope you enjoyed this article and are staying safe.