There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors in the sun. But with heat warnings in effect and temperatures steadily in the 20s, hopefully now it’s safe to note that the sun is here to stay for the next few months. And for many of us, that simply means slathering on some sunscreen and SPF before leaving the house but what some of us may not know is that different members of the family require different types of sun care. I am breaking down SPF Products for the whole family.
So how do we practice safe sun for the whole family with varying skincare needs?
Here are my top recommendations:
Women in their 30s and 40s will want to use sun care products that have anti-aging properties and that also prevent sun damage.
The AlumierMD Sheer Hydration Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 40 Is the ideal sunscreen for ladies in their 30’s and 40’s:
Sheer Hydration Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Is the ideal sunscreen for ladies in their 30’s and 40’s because of its anti-aging benefits.
• Not only Does AlumierMD sheer hydration broad spectrum SPF protect us from harmful UVA and UVB rays it also hydrates and nourishes our skin and is packed with peptides and antioxidants
• It’s a staple in my routine because of the sheer texture and how wonderfully it melts into my skin and absorbs clear, leaving no white cast so its great for all skin tones.
• Enriched with vitamin E, antioxidants AND Vitamin C. The antioxidants protect our skin against environmental stressors while Vitamin C stimulates healthy cell regeneration and evens out our skin tone.
• AlumierMD offers this formula in an a tinted and tinted version too. The tinted version leaves skin with a warm healthy glow.
Get some for yourself :
AlumierMD works with skin care professionals who can provide you with an online consult to find the best products for your skin type. Go to www.alumiermd.ca for your personalized routine.
Men typically have thicker skin and tend to get sweaty when working out and enjoying time in the sun. Water resistant sport options are the best option for keeping the men in our life safe in the sun
Garnier Ombrelle Sport Endurance Sunscreen: SPF 30 or 60
- This sunscreen will protect the men in your life from the sun through sweat and water sports with the Ombrelle patented filtering system.
- It’s a heavy duty formula that is water and sweat resistant.
- Get 80 minutes of protection with this amazing option.
- Available at shoppers drugmart, Walmart and other large retailers for $15-$18.
Children are particularly sensitive to the sun as their skin isn’t acclimatized to it and in general their skin is more sensitive. Heat rashes and reactions to SPF are common. Products that cater to their delicate skin with gentler formulations are ideal. It’s also important to use soothing after sun products to nourish and sooth their skin.
I can’t recommend Aveeno sun care products enough for the mini’s in our life. Formulated specifically for kids to keep them safe in the sun.
Aveeno Baby SPF 50
- Is mineral based
- Tear free and paraben free
- Sweat and water resistant
- Comes in a stick option too which is extremely helpful when trying to lather up wiggly kids.
- Get yours here : Aveeno Baby SPF 50
Their Soothing Relief moisture wash and cream are ideal for after sun care.
- Rich in soothing oatmeal which nourishes, hydrates and soothes kids’ skin.
- Available at major retailers
Mature skin has a tendency to be sensitive and become aggravated by chemical and fragranced formulas. Mineral-based sunscreens that are chemical-free with a natural zinc base work wonderfully for this demographic.
Juice Beauty Oil Free SPF 30:
is my top pick for grandparents who love to be out in the sun with the grandkids?
- This certified organic formulation is mineral based meaning it protects the skin with a natural zinc base as opposed to a chemical base.
- It is oil free so won’t clog pores or feel greasy on the skin
- Is fragrance and paraben free which is important for more sensitive and mature skin types.
- It is available at Shoppers.com and Sephora Canada
- Get yours here: Juice Beauty Oil Free SPF
A concern among the aging population is thinning hair and getting burned on the scalp where melanoma can occur. Top tip is to also invest in a spray on SPF such as the Neutrogena ultra-sheer mist sunscreen to spray along the hairline or on parts of the head that may be exposed. If your skin is too sensitive for this no worries pop on a stylish hat and enjoy your time outdoors.
To see my interview discussing these SPF options on Breakfast Television Toronto click the link below:
Thanks again for stopping what you were doing and dropping by to Stop Drop & Makeup.
For more of my favourite warm weather products read my favourite all natural Canadian Skincare brand review: Delia Skincare